The Art of Parenting – Autism Awareness Month
Being a parent is a challenging, exhausting and yet a very rewarding experience. It is a lifelong journey full of learning curves and experiences. Every child is unique. When it comes to raising a child with a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder, it opens up a whole new world of encounters. From difficulties going to the supermarket due to loud sounds, to sticking to a strict routine, some days may provide different challenges than others. It can be overwhelming trying to manage day to day tasks with your child, and it is important to acknowledge this.
Tips for parenting:
- Identify what your child is sensitive to, and minimising these where possible by adapting activities
- Using a visual diary outlining the schedule for the day/week
- Encouraging play with peers or siblings to enrich social interactions
- Visual cards to assist with expressing feelings
- Reward chart to encourage and motivate
By exploring different strategies and incorporating these into your every day life, you will be able to identify what works for your child, and what doesn’t. As a result, your relationship with your child will flourish. As already mentioned, being a parent is a rewarding experience that brings a lot of joy and also challenges. Taking the appropriate steps to getting to know your child, learning about and understanding Autism will be helpful in the long run.
Here at The Psych Professionals, we offer autism counselling to help you and your child.