The Psych Professionals provide assessment and intervention for children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). We have a team of qualified professionals with postgraduate qualifications who are able to help children who are showing signs of ADHD.
ADHD affects a child’s behaviour, social interaction, learning ability, and can put a strain on the whole family. It is natural for young children to have a short attention span and to act on impulses. ADHD represents extreme behavioural cases that can benefit from counselling and other treatments.
If you think you have a child with ADHD you are probably feeling a range of emotions about it, including anger, frustration, guilt, sadness, and exhaustion. However overwhelmed you feel, remember that many children who have been diagnosed with ADHD have responded positively with treatment and gone on to become successful, happy adults.
Signs of ADHD
If a child is unable to ‘settle down’, this is not necessarily a sign of ADHD or ADD. Children go through a number of developmental phases that can cause them to become disruptive. If a child has ADHD or ADD, they will display certain signs and symptoms. These include being:
- unable to focus their attention or concentrate
- disruptive at home and at school.
Children with ADHD or ADD will also usually have trouble getting along with their peers.
Treatment for ADHD
Treatment for ADHD can involve a multi-faceted approach to change a child’s home life and school life. Counselling plays an important role in treating ADHD, and medication may also be required.
Counselling can involve some or all of the following:
- cognitive therapy—help with problem solving and self control
- behaviour modification—changing the way a child acts and rewarding them for good behaviour
- anger management—coping skills, relaxation techniques and stress management
- social training—improving self esteem and social interaction with peers
- family counselling—helps all family members to understand and cope with the child’s behaviour.
Contact The Psych Professionals
If your child is showing signs of ADHD and you would like a professional opinion, contact The Psych Professionals to arrange an appointment time. We care about families, and we have a lot of experience in diagnosing and treating ADHD as well as helping other family members cope with the child’s condition.